History / Planning For Tomorrow
The Playingfield was bought for the benefit of the village in 1955, monies were raised by a Grand Fete and matched by a private donation. The Playingfield Committee has been a registered charity since 1964, with the field leased from the Parish Council for a nominal £1 a year.
The Playingfield covers 6 acres on the western edge of the village. Facilities include; a pavilion with showers and a sitting/meeting area, childrens play area, basketball court, 2 x football pitches (winter), cricket pitch (summer) and parking. Sports clubs based at the Playingfield are; Queen Camel Cricket club (Mid Wessex, League, divn 2), Queen Camel Football club (Yeovil Sunday League) and 2 teams from Castle Cary Swans FC. The village tennis and bowls clubs occupy immediately adjacent land. The pavillion and field can be booked for childrens parties and similar private use. Other regular users are the village school, pre-school and Guides / Brownies.
Work is currently ongoing (Jan 2012) to replace fencing around the children's play area and car park, and to refurbish play equipment. An application has been submitted to the Queen Elizabeth II Fields Challenge and it is hoped that this will assist in securing funding for new toddler and youth play equipment over the next two years.
For further details contact -
Angus Davidson, Chairman 01935 850 607
Pete Naylor, Secretary 01935 850 135 (Bookings)
Chris Bennett, Treasurer 01935 850 004